Green Chile Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
This ain’t grandma’s mac n’ cheese – it’s even better!
Serves 8 / Prep Time: 5 mins / Cook Time: 30 mins
- 16-ounce package elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef or turkey
- 1 jar Cookwell & Co. Two-Step Green Chile Stew Mix
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 pound Velveeta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons Southwestern seasoning blend
- 1 (4 ounces) shredded Colby-Jack cheese
- 2 cups canned fried onion rings, or 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
Cook macaroni according to directions on box; drain well and set aside.
Heat the oil in a heavy 4-quart pot over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add the ground beef or turkey and cook, stirring frequently and breaking up clumps of meat with the back of the spoon, until meat is cooked through and no traces of pink remain, about 8 minutes. Carefully drain off fat from pan.
Return pan to medium heat and stir in the Texas Two-Step Green Chile Stew Mix, whipping cream, Velveeta cheese, and Southwestern seasoning blend, Cook until cheese is melted, about 7 minutes. Stir in the drained macaroni and blend well.
Turn the mixture out into prepared baking dish and top with the Colby-Jack cheese. Bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven and scatter the onion rings or crushed tortilla chips over the top. Serve hot.