Green Chile Apple Pie
This delicious and innovative pie definitely breaks away from tradition! Try it for dessert with your favorite Holiday meal. It’ll be the icing on the cake!
Serves 8-10 / Prep Time: 15 mins / Cook Time: 55 mins
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 5 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
- Zest of 1 medium lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup Cookwell & Co. Two-Step Green Chile Stew Mix
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch blended with 1/3 cup cold water
- 4 ready-made pie crust pastries
- Whipped cream flavored with cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray; set aside.
Melt two tablespoons of the butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. When butter has melted, add the apples, sugar, lemon zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Stir to blend well and cook, stirring often, until apples are somewhat tender, about 8 minutes. Add the Texas Two-Step Green Chile Stew Mix, stir well, and add the cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil; cook just until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
Lay 2 of the pie pastries in the bottom of the prepared baking dish, overlapping slightly. Pour the apples over the pastry and cut remaining butter into small pieces; scatter them over the apples. Place the other two pastries over the apples, overlapping them. Crimp the edges of the pastry all around the edge of the dish. Cut vent holes in the pastry. Scatter the 2 tablespoons of sugar over the top and bake in preheated oven for 45-55 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Serve with the cinnamon whipped cream, Enjoy the treat.